Established 1896, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is a global nonprofit organization focused on the prevention of death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards. The NFPA provides regulations to protect manufacturing facilities from fires, deflagrations, explosions, and other safety risks.
According to NFPA research on fires in US industrial and manufacturing facilities, between 2011 and 2015, municipal fire departments in the U.S. responded to an estimated average of 37,910 fires at industrial or manufacturing properties each year. Annual losses from these fires are estimated at:
- 16 civilian deaths
- 273 civilian injuries
- $1.2 billion in direct property damage
These sobering numbers underscore the need for NFPA compliant equipment solutions in the industrial workplace.
Understanding the Dangers
Manufacturing and processing plants tend to be more prone to structural fires, and the risk is amplified by the presence of combustible dust. When combustible dust in a confined area is ignited, it will burn very rapidly and possibly explode.
In addition to the combustible dust, there are four other elements/conditions are required for an explosion include:
- An ignition source
- Oxygen in air
- Sufficient quantity and concentration of dust particles
- Confinement of the dust
The Role of NFPA Compliant Rotary Valves
NFPA compliant rotary valves are specifically engineered to manage fuel and ignition sources, while limiting the amount of oxygen that would potentially feed a fire. The role of the valve is to isolate and stop the spread of flames along a conveying line.
Air Solutions partners with Boss Products to offer the EcoMAXX® EM-RVEX line of NFPA 69 compliant ATEX explosion tested and certified rotary valves. EcoMAXX rotary valves provide effective explosion isolation for industrial filtration, pneumatic conveying and bulk handling processes.
EcoMAXX Rotary Valve Models:
- Sizes: 10” (250mm), 14 ” (350mm) & 18” (450mm)
- Certified to withstand explosive pressures up to 1.7 bar (24.66 PSI)
- Sizes: 10” (250mm), 14” (350mm) & 18” (450mm)
- Certified to withstand explosive pressures up to 2.5 bar (39.26 PSI)
- Sizes: 6” (150mm), 8” (250mm), 10” (250mm) & 12” (300mm)
- Certified to withstand explosive pressures up to 2.5 bar (39.26 PSI) / 1.7 bar (24.66 PSI) with Vulkollan tips
- Sizes: 22” square as well as sizes typical to European designed dust collectors
- Certified with pressure monitoring control system
All EM-RVEX rotary valves are ATEX certified EN 15089 & NFPA 69 compliant.
Air Solutions is here to provide you with products to reduce your explosion risk and recommend the best protection measures to assure your people, equipment, and facilities are protected. We offer you the added value of a customer centered approach, focused on serving your application requirements.
To learn more, contact us today.