Selecting the correct industrial fan for your process and facility involves a number of factors. It is important to consider all of these variables in order to find the industrial fan that will best meet your needs, while contributing to your cost and energy efficiency goals. Air Solutions’ partner supplier, Cincinnati Fan, has developed a helpful reference for assisting customers in choosing the right fan or blower. The guide focuses on nine steps or areas of consideration in fan specification:
- Type of Fan – A centrifugal blower wheel draws air into the housing and discharges it out at 90°. An axial fan draws air in using a propeller, and discharges air in the same direction. An axial fan should not be used to convey material.
- Total Airflow – Airflow is rated in cubic feet of air per minute (CFM). When conveying material, make sure there is adequate CFM for the duct pipe or hose size.
- Static Pressure – The resistance to the airflow, or static pressure, is caused by air moving through the pipe, hose, duct, filter, etc. It is rated in inches of water gauge (SPWG).
- Density – Density changes resulting from temperature and/or barometric pressure variations need to be corrected to standard conditions.
- Air Temperature – The temperature of the air going through the fan or blower will affect the performance of the fan or blower.
- Altitude – The altitude at which the fan or blower will be operating also impacts the performance of the fan or blower.
- Material Handling – If material will be conveyed through the fan or blower, it’s characteristics need to be considered
- Ambient Temperature – The temperature of the air outside the fan or blower, or ambient temperature, can affect the operation of fan or blower.
- Safety Conditions – Special accommodations may be required if any material going through the blower is flammable or combustible.
For additional information and more detail concerning the fan selection process, see the complete instruction guide, and contact the specialists at Air Solutions to discuss your specific applications.